The snow leopard finds a home in the Hindu Kush and Karakoram mountains in Pakistan’s northern provinces of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Gilgit Baltistan, and Azad Kashmir.
We partner with the Snow Leopard Foundation (SLF), one of Pakistan’s most respected conservation nonprofits. The organization is led by 2016 Whitley Award winner Dr. Muhammad Ali Nawaz, who is also an Assistant Professor in the Department of Animal Sciences at Islamabad’s Quaid-i-Azam University.
Area of snow leopard habitat
- 80,000 km2
Snow leopard population
Threats to snow leopards
- Habitat degradation and fragmentation
- Reduction of natural prey due to illegal hunting
- Retribution killing for livestock loss
- War and related military activities
Current Research & Conservation Programs
Landscape Focus Area
- Karakoram area in the Gilgit Baltistan Province