Saving an endangered cat like the snow leopard can seem like a daunting task. Conservation is expensive, and most of us have limited funds to dedicate to a cause, no matter how dear to our hearts it may be.
But, like drops of water forming an ocean, small donations can add up to have a big impact.
One great way of pooling resources and maximizing our individual impact is through fundraising campaigns among our peers.
Do you have a birthday or wedding coming up for which you’d like to ask friends for donations to help your favorite feline? Or are you planning to run a marathon while wearing a snow leopard costume to raise awareness for this cat?
Whatever idea you may have – turning it into a fundraising campaign has never been easier.
Last year, Facebook rolled out “Facebook Fundraisers”, a tool that allows you to raise money for your favorite cause directly from within the social network – and invite your friends to contribute.
It’s safe and easy – Facebook handles credit card payments directly, using the latest encryption technology, and transfers the funds to the charity you choose to support.
If you’d like to give it a try, here’s a step-by-step guide to creating a Facebook Fundraiser for the Snow Leopard Trust, and raise money:
Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Facebook Fundraiser
- Click Fundraisers in the left menu of your Faceboook news feed
- Click Raise Money
- Select Nonprofit/Charity.
- Enter Snow Leopard Trust in the search field, and you’ll find us as the first match.
- Once you’ve selected Snow Leopard Trust as the beneficiary of your fundraiser, the next step is to fill in the fundraiser details such as the goal (that’s up to you), and an end date.
- Tell your story. In a few short words, explain why you are raising funds for snow leopards. Feel free to use your own text here, or work with our suggested text.
- Then, in the next step, you can choose a cover photo for your campaign. You can use the suggested photo, or click on edit (bottom right corner) to select a different one from our page or your computer or phone..
- Click Create
- Invite your friends! Once you’ve created your fundraiser, Facebook will prompt you to share it with your friends and invite them to contribute. That’s a great way to get their attention immediately. We suggest you do this on Giving Tuesday itself, or perhaps the day before.
- Share! After you’ve invited your friends, Facebook will ask you to make your first newsfeed post about your fundraiser. This will share the link to your page, and will give your friends and their network another chance to contribute. This is a great way to kick off giving on Tuesday morning – and if you like, you can follow up with more posts during the day to keep your donors updated and motivate others to give as well.
If you’re active on Twitter, Instagram or other platforms, don’t forget to post about your fundraiser there as well. If you communicate a lot by email, please send the link to your fundraiser to your email contacts.
If you have any questions before or during Giving Tuesday, please email Matt, our Communications Manager (email@example.com) or give us a call (206-632-2421).
Thank you so much for helping to save snow leopards!